AX Classic EqEmulator Forums

Source and database discussion for AX_Classic

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem With In Some Game Client Maps Not Showing Anything.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
This is with the Underfoot client, haven't tested with Titanium as they all work there (as far as I know).
As you know, these are maps that are downloaded from other sites, some have been a bit altered to fit our server.
The problem is, when you play via a Linux box, what's read in the client maps folder becomes case sensitive.
For example, in , my maps folder I have two files;

Misty_1.txt
and
misty_1.txt

Misty_1.txt is a loaded file with the map, and misty_1.txt is a 0 byte file the client made , as it did not see the Misty_1.txt as valid. I must have played in Misty, and since the client thought there was no map, it made a new clean (lower case) one, thus I ended up with a blank map.

This doesn't happen if you are playing via Windows, as Windows does not look at the case of a file character. But Windows will complain and tell you you have two of the same files, asking you which one you want to keep. If you keep the wrong (empty) one, you too will end up with a blank map.

If you already kept the wrong files, you can re-download them from here, probably will find the dupes again, just keep the file that is not empty and in Linux you have to rename it to lower case.

This works for Linux files;
rename -f 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * (will make all files lower case)

EDIT:

I noticed sometimes the client under Linux will read the uppercase file and sometimes it will not - In reality there should not be a problem with upper or lower case files under Linux because the client is run with the Wine software that mimics Windows, so must be some sort of a bug.
Best solution is to make all the map files lowercase. I think people who made these maps renamed them with case differences so they look better, but that makes a problem with Linux.