AX Classic EqEmulator Forums

Source and database discussion for AX_Classic

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Underfoot, Titanium and Zesty Zapus With wine-1.8.7
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 am 
Developer Team
Developer Team
Lately I got an urge to try out Ubuntu 17 (Zesty Zapus), and my own personal computer is always the guinea pig for stuff like that.
For starters, on my last two upgrades (Ubuntu 16 and 17), I've decided to use the 32 bit distribution instead of 64 bit. Reason being is 32 bit and 64 bit are not so far apart from each other as it is with Windows: 32bit is supposedly slower, but for what I do/like, I don't see ant difference. 32bit Linux still sees and uses up to eight processors, and will see and use over 3 gigabytes of Ram.
But I chose it for the better compatibility of older software. for example, All the old emulators are available, and since we have to compile Wine from source it compiles, installs and works much better on 32 bit than the 64 bit version.
I chose wine-1.8.7 because that's what this distro has in the packages.
So I downloaded wine-1.8.7 from the wine website, unpacked it into a temp directory and pulled out my saved directex.c file;

edit the new dlls/d3d9/directx.c and look for this area:

Code:
        D3DPTEXTURECAPS_MIPMAP         | D3DPTEXTURECAPS_MIPVOLUMEMAP  | D3DPTEXTURECAPS_MIPCUBEMAP      |
        D3DPTEXTURECAPS_CUBEMAP_POW2   | D3DPTEXTURECAPS_VOLUMEMAP_POW2| D3DPTEXTURECAPS_NOPROJECTEDBUMPENV;

pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4; //Angelox Add
    pCaps->MaxVertexShaderConst = min(D3D9_MAX_VERTEX_SHADER_CONSTANTF, pCaps->MaxVertexShaderConst);
    pCaps->NumSimultaneousRTs = min(D3D9_MAX_SIMULTANEOUS_RENDERTARGETS, pCaps->NumSimultaneousRTs);
pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4; //Angelox Add is the line you need to add

Then
sudo apt-get build-dep wine

run ./configure

it will complain about prelink (or at least to me it did)
sudo apt-get install prelink

run ./configure again

then make (this will take a very long time)

and finally sudo make install
After that, I installed Winetricks and Play on Linux as they are helpful apps.
Don't for get about installing DirectX 9

some suggestions;
- I always configure and run my Wine apps to work in a window instead of full screen, this way my "cube" (multiple desktop) works properly.
- My shortcuts did not work, probably because I like Dolphin and installed Dolphin and a bunch of other KDE apps, so my shortcuts only work from within my Dolphin File manager or Konsole command line, so if you have problems, try different ways to run it.
Could be too that since I ported over my 16x /home/ folder, something got bugged during the process

All in all, Ubuntus 17x "Zesty Zapus", is far superior to any of the older distros i've experienced during and after install. I work on restoring and selling laptops for additional income, and use Ubuntu 32 or 64 bit when the OS that came with the laptop is lost or too old (Ubuntu is free, open source). Up tell Ubuntu 16x, there was always a fat chance it would not install on the laptop or there would be problems like a non-functional WiFi. With 17x, they almost always install (sometimes some of the old XP laptops give problems).