AX Classic Forums

Gameplay discussions for The Rathe Server

Last visit was: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: SirensBane Server
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:42 am 
Developer Team
Developer Team
Will be down for a few hours today.

Post subject: How to increase server activity.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:42 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
@Angelox and Axclassic, I've been wanting to say this for a while but I didn't have the guts to but now I just want to let it out because I feel like this may get the ball moving or maybe anyone who wants to hear a valid argument. I'll try to make this as concise as I can without the dreaded 'tl;dr'.

A little about myself, I've been coming on and off this Rathe Server since 2011 and every time I come here I enjoy for a couple of months, make friends, see peeps come and go, and move off to some other tangent in life. Then I come back hoping the server population would've grown, but in the end we see the server empty from time to time.

I think the reason why the player base is so low is because of the difficulty in setting the bots up and learning new commands and maybe the harder mobs as well. However, this is something the server is based upon so this is completely understandable. I've been there, we've all been there. And when new people get over this huge hurdle, they are all willing to play even though the curve is high and a bit time consuming. But when something goes wrong, whether it may be from bugs/glitches, corpses, or too many deaths, it's that extra difficulty that takes them over the edge to leave out of frustration and don't want to return.

What I suggest are 2 ideas that together will increase players/traffic to simply make things more enticing for the newcomers and the casual player so that they would at least be more willing to play the game longer because that's what we all want right? And maybe in the long run just from their word of mouth get even more new players to come to Rathe Server. So how?

Firstly, giving experience leveling incredibly easy until the late teens or so, or making it possible for more experience gained for the newbie quests, or having some great starting tradeskill ingredients/components/gear or any of those ideas in between. Yes, it sounds highly unpopular but today with everyone's shorter attention span, they want to see progress and just having those might make them to stick around longer. Or having really neat gems or items with unique stats as a 'thank you' for joining. This in turn might increase the population and fill more of the starting cities and/or lower zones and at the very least bring more people to hang out and chit chat. Now I'm not saying it should be like this forever, but let's say 6 month experiment? And see if this causes a population increase, that's all.

Secondly, if the front page of the website could be changed into something more modern or to cater to newbies. I don't want to sound 'cliche' but such as a big help section in easy words and/or blog updates, or anything with more news updates just to increase traffic, and my favorite a Server status stating the player count like (project eq), something in a ticker mode just to make things alive would certainly help. Anything like that would make me check back more often than not. By the way, the ladder section is great! I check up on that all the time.

I've also noticed on project EQ, their population is growing yearly, it's something I've always wanted to see with the Rathe Server. Not just a wax and wane every season or so, but a trickling and steady increase in population. Again, I'm not trying to compare with project EQ, but I have a feeling they're on to something and I'm almost positive this server can do what they can do, although not as bustling but hey, at least some progress than before because it's a shame when this great server can do so much more.

Lastly, it's these two changes that I think will increase traffic/population and make things more busier which I would love to see happen. Like a promotional couple months or so, or refer a friend and get an extra bot slot, anything to make them feel very grateful and privileged. Maybe I have TOO much time on my hands, but there's got to be a way to entice new players in easily because I love the Rathe Server, and I always wanted more people to come and more importantly, stay. I know some people might say, "Well then go play Project EQ.", maybe some servers just revolve around low populations, but I always enjoyed Rathe Server and I thought I could voice an opinion that other people might have as well. I hope you're not mad, and this wasn't an argument, just what I honestly felt. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

P.S. I'm glad that the new server repacks were never released. I think more focus should be on 1 and not several others. I, like many others, believe that private connections don't help with a community that should be growing and who want to get together and play on a server such as this. Thank you~

Post subject: Re: How to increase server activity.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:37 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
Hi and thanks for the post -
I wouldn't want to make it easier for the start of the game as a lot of what we have is in the classic zones. I think most players are not interested in this server because (not all reasons covered); 1-Bots replace multi-boxing, players are tuned into Multi-boxing and do not want to change. 2-MacroQuest is not allowed, and doesn't work properly here anyway. 3-Player grouping is not pursued, most players like to group with other players. 3-The other servers continue with the Everquest saga and add on expansions , with new code for the newer clients, so someone new coming from Everquest live will be able to relate and play. 4-Most players do not know or care to know how great the bots really are: they see Everquest as a multi-player game and not a bot group game. 5-Finally, When Rathe opened up, servers like PEQ already had their players (in the hundreds), and most players will not leave one server to start over on another server (EqEmu scene has a small captured audience, pretty much the same people over the years).

For me, this project is "mission accomplished" - the goals I set for myself here are pretty much reached, and I keep it all running because I enjoy what is produces; some very good friends and always a good game to play, and look forward to adding more code (as RL permits) . Also, server population has always been a problem, due to the negative promotion some EqEmu peeps give it.
We still have plans to expand what we got. Aardil was just telling me about some zones he plans on populating and opening up with some custom ideas. I always am thinking of ways to better the source code.
Frankly, I'd much rather deal with a few players/devs that have become friends - It was like that with me on live, I always played alone or with a few of the same 5-6 friends I had made over the years.
Had it not been for the EQBOTS, Everquest would have been over for me years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
angelox wrote:
Hi and thanks for the post -
I wouldn't want to make it easier for the start of the game as a lot of what we have is in the classic zones. I think most players are not interested in this server because (not all reasons covered); 1-Bots replace multi-boxing, players are tuned into Multi-boxing and do not want to change. 2-MacroQuest is not allowed, and doesn't work properly here anyway. 3-Player grouping is not pursued, most players like to group with other players. 3-The other servers continue with the Everquest saga and add on expansions , with new code for the newer clients, so someone new coming from Everquest live will be able to relate and play. 4-Most players do not know or care to know how great the bots really are: they see Everquest as a multi-player game and not a bot group game. 5-Finally, When Rathe opened up, servers like PEQ already had their players (in the hundreds), and most players will not leave one server to start over on another server (EqEmu scene has a small captured audience, pretty much the same people over the years).

Exactly, and I agree Angelox 100%, this is why I suggested something enticing and over the top to bring those players from reason 1 to 5 to come and try playing with bots and players on this server. Anything to bring more people and even converting those believers from the reasons above like a foot in the door technique so at least there's a chance they will try the game out, whether to grant easier xp, or free items etc. Kind of like a huge rewards system just for trying.

angelox wrote:
Also, server population has always been a problem, due to the negative promotion some EqEmu peeps give it.

I am well aware of this too, in fact I was into eqemu back in 2002, when in it's infancy it was just a bunch of database coding and long before peq was born.

angelox wrote:
Frankly, I'd much rather deal with a few players/devs that have become friends - It was like that with me on live, I always played alone or with a few of the same 5-6 friends I had made over the years.

Well if that's true, then no worries. I guess having too much people can be detrimental as well. I remember on Live and Project EQ where you would always have that 1 jerk who would ruin everything, whether grouping, chatting, or trading; Whereas having a good couple of friends who you can rely on is always a sure thing.

Well, thanks for responding but please consider the front webpage suggestion idea too! That might bring in more traffic and players as well, Especially that "Server Status Player Population Count! Cheers~ :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:48 am 
Forum Moderator Team
Forum Moderator Team
I have to agree with the front page on the web suggestion. Not necessarily that it needs a player counter (This time of year, that could be a bad thing even) but that it could be a bit more welcoming to new players. There is no server rules or link to a getting started guide. The info is there on the site to be found but it is strung about (well, I have yet to find a server rules list).

I also have to agree with Angelox on the difficulty thing. I don't know that making the game itself easier is the way to go. 1-5 can be a little rough on a brand new player but a lot of that is bot familiarity I think. I had a rough time in Everfrost as a new shaman but when I made a warrior, it was a breeze because I just kinda hit stuff and the bot kept healing me. Helping to make bot control a little more accessible might not be terrible. Once again, the information is out there, it just isn't concise for a new player. Maybe that's a way to weed out the unresourcefull? This is something I could and would be willing to help with instead of just making suggestions.

What I will say that I wish was that there was more early to mid game custom content. Not knowing the technical limitations of the platform, I may be talking nonsense but I would have loved to see a quest line or even zone that only opens up on some of the hell levels and is involved but will net a ton of XP as an alternative to sitting in ToFS and hitting #bot attack over and over again. That does sound like a ton of work as I think about it. Unfortunately, coding was never a love of mine so I wouldn't be able to put my money where my mouth was on this one. I can certainly come up with ideas though.

Anyhow, this type of server benefits from a lower population obviously but it is kinda lonely at times when there isn't even another soul to commiserate with when you do something dumb or get hit with a bug. The few times I have been in the same zone as other people, all social courtesy has been non-existant; perhaps due to familiarity with bots and run of the world. I'm not talking about the old hats playing alts.

If I had a ton of free time, I too would probably prefer a more traditional group required server like p99 but I don't have the time for that and I also love to explore so Rathe fits the bill. I am looking at a sizeable promotion here at work and an unfortunate consequence is that I will probably have even less time to play.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 am 
Developer Team
Developer Team
ohhwell wrote:
I have to agree with the front page on the web suggestion. Not necessarily that it needs a player counter (This time of year, that could be a bad thing even) but that it could be a bit more welcoming to new players.

I think Axclassic would benefit greatly from a player counter. Why would it be a bad thing this time of year? I'm curious because when you can see the player count, you know how many people are on and that would bring more incentive for prospective players to try it out and join the server. Anything that is greater than 0 is always a good thing, it doesn't need to be in the hundreds, just knowing that if the steady population is 10 on a good day, you know it could be beat. Something like that would certainly entice me.

ohhwell wrote:
There is no server rules or link to a getting started guide. The info is there on the site to be found but it is strung about (well, I have yet to find a server rules list)... Once again, the information is out there, it just isn't concise for a new player. Maybe that's a way to weed out the unresourceful?

Yes, something like a thorough easy to read step by step guide with a nice link on the front for beginners would also help for those interested in playing or someone who just happened to browse by.

ohhwell wrote:
I also have to agree with Angelox on the difficulty thing. I don't know that making the game itself easier is the way to go. 1-5 can be a little rough on a brand new player but a lot of that is bot familiarity I think. I had a rough time in Everfrost as a new shaman but when I made a warrior, it was a breeze because I just kinda hit stuff and the bot kept healing me. Helping to make bot control a little more accessible might not be terrible. Once again, the information is out there, it just isn't concise for a new player.

Okay, maybe the whole experience, free items, or making things easier is too much. Maybe there's another great way like saying, "Everquest with Bots is a new and great idea, let us explain how it works. Everyone who's played Everquest, from old to new, experienced a time where they couldn't get a group because of whatever reason, and these bots solve that."

Somehow, I feel like all of this needs to be delivered in a way that someone who is completely new and have no knowledge firsthand would try this instead over other servers out there. And that way they would get to appreciate it faster than we did, without getting their hands dirty, because I have to admit it is a lot of work but to serve it on a platter to them would definitely pique their interest, rather than get discouraged.

I've gone on other websites to promote Axclassics over these couple years and I've referred this to many friends, some got it to work, but many didn't. And the number 1 thing I hear all the time from those that didn't is that they say it's a lot of work or somewhere along the setting up process they get lost and end up not joining because of that. To me, that's heartbreaking. If a simple step by step process from a link or a setup guide was available, I think that would increase the player base and help immensely. I remember when I set this up, I had to jump forum to forum during troubleshooting and give links to those threads for others who were in my shoes, which was a hair pulling and frustrating experience.

ohhwell wrote:
What I will say that I wish was that there was more early to mid game custom content. Not knowing the technical limitations of the platform, I may be talking nonsense but I would have loved to see a quest line or even zone that only opens up on some of the hell levels and is involved but will net a ton of XP as an alternative to sitting in ToFS and hitting #bot attack over and over again. That does sound like a ton of work as I think about it. Unfortunately, coding was never a love of mine so I wouldn't be able to put my money where my mouth was on this one. I can certainly come up with ideas though.

I hear that more content are on the way so I wouldn't be too worried and Axclassics always deliver the goods in due time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Rathe Ladder Masters
Rathe Ladder Masters
welcome home patrik, menate was wondering what happened to you :goofy:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:48 pm 
Forum Moderator Team
Forum Moderator Team
Hmm, well.... Perhaps something between the way information is provided now and a step by step hand-holding guide? Some base competencies are assumed such as the ability to set up macros. That was assumed on live as well. I personally don't know that the kind of player who would need everything on a platter is the best kind to have running around this playground with a full group of Bots.
Remember, for every group you see on the Rathe, one of the avatars is a real person still. I had noticed a lack of that understanding in a few of my fellow new players a month or so ago. Interestingly, they haven't played in a while.

Angelox said he is happy with what has been accomplished and I certainly understand that. I also really appreciate his continual administration of the server for free. That being said, a few more considerate players would be nice. I'm still very willing to help with the website. A set of server rules is my first wish though and that has to come from the top.......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
jsnypade33 wrote:
welcome home patrik, menate was wondering what happened to you :goofy:

@jsnypade33, haha Hello! How'd you know it was me? Long time no see, and I can't get back on Patrik because my old email address is no longer valid and I'm still trying to figure out the password Lol. But I love this server too much so of course I'm back! =)

@ohhwell, Yeah, just trying anything to help with adding more players to Rathe is something I always wanted. I thought I'd share some ideas at least to start somewhere. I'm still cautiously optimistic and this server has tons of potential.

Whenever I see the Hidden Forest, or other servers that have a steady population, it makes me wonder what is it that makes it so popular? The loads of custom content? Or the ease of setting up to connect to a server in the first place? It has to be the latter, it just has to. Because there's barely any custom content on p99 but yet, their start up method is incredibly easy, meticulous, and well written.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator Team
Forum Moderator Team
OOHHHHHH! I see, you meant step by step for client setup and such. I thought you meant like how to run bots, where to level, that kind of stuff. I am with you 100% on that then.

I didn't find it too difficult once I found the torrent links. That was also after slogging through setting up P99, Grand Creation and Hidden Forest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
ohhwell wrote:
OOHHHHHH! I see, you meant step by step for client setup and such. I thought you meant like how to run bots, where to level, that kind of stuff. I am with you 100% on that then.

Well yes, a step by step startup AND as well as the others you mentioned above but these parts wouldn't have to be as concise as the startup. At the very least this will hold their hand into the complete process and startup and possibly the beginning couple levels too.

ohhwell wrote:
I didn't find it too difficult once I found the torrent links. That was also after slogging through setting up P99, Grand Creation and Hidden Forest.

Also, I tried both Titanium and Underfoot and had a time with those. Maybe I can go through some of my old threads and put something together for a 'how to' for both versions, and the pros and cons of each.

I feel like I broken down the parts to:

1) Server rules
2) What version of EQ
3) Where to get the client
4) How to connect to Rathe Server
5) Setting up bots
6) Commands and quests for bots
7) Where to start/group
8.) <Link to eq macros>
9) <insert anything valuable here>
10) Troubleshooting

There, I think 10 easy steps might do it. And yes, this may be all on the wikipedia page, then maybe put the link in front of Axclassic so they can see it with ease, or I can try to explain these in easier terms myself with detailed pictures or maybe I'm dumbing it down too much? Well in any case, I'm glad I got to discuss this and have this discussion heard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:08 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
You all are welcome to help out, these forums I made and customized, so they are my blunder. all the web site was done by Leslamarch and myself, the newer stuff was me, so mostly my blunder too. Things have gotten thrown into my lap and I've had to make them work. For Example, the EqBrowser was uploaded, but then the person who uploaded it left and it still was hardly working mostly due to the older Perl and PhP versions it is related to. I've had to learn all these programming languages (somewhat) so I could fix them.
Developers come and go just as do the players, but unlike the players, they don't usually come back. Currently active is Aardil and myself- Resqu, I hope is still with us, haven't seen him on in a while - jsnypade33 has just been added so he's learning. It's hard to get things done, with so few into these aspects of development . I currently have a lot less time than I used to for this (not becuase I want to!), so I try and stay focused on source and source fixes.
If someone out there knows how to do html or anything else - send PM my way and we'll set something up.
Anything you want to do to better this, please do! You won't hurt my feelings if you think what I did is crap :)
BtW, incase you haven't noticed, the new be player mow spawns with a bot that helps him get started.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
angelox wrote:
You all are welcome to help out, these forums I made and customized, so they are my blunder. all the web site was done by Leslamarch and myself, the newer stuff was me, so mostly my blunder too. Things have gotten thrown into my lap and I've had to make them work. For Example, the EqBrowser was uploaded, but then the person who uploaded it left and it still was hardly working mostly due to the older Perl and PhP versions it is related to. I've had to learn all these programming languages (somewhat) so I could fix them.
Developers come and go just as do the players, but unlike the players, they don't usually come back. Currently active is Aardil and myself- Resqu, I hope is still with us, haven't seen him on in a while - jsnypade33 has just been added so he's learning. It's hard to get things done, with so few into these aspects of development . I currently have a lot less time than I used to for this (not becuase I want to!), so I try and stay focused on source and source fixes.
If someone out there knows how to do html or anything else - send PM my way and we'll set something up.
Anything you want to do to better this, please do! You won't hurt my feelings if you think what I did is crap :)
BtW, incase you haven't noticed, the new be player mow spawns with a bot that helps him get started.

That's good to hear Angelox. Well I can help by digging through the guides, cross checking that with other posts, wikipedia, and nahunta for a 'how to' compendium. And html can't be that difficult can it? I took c++ classes years ago and if the language is similar I can help out too.

I think to plant this seed requires a lot more effort than people think. I want to try myself and if it doesn't work well at least we tried something! Once we can make it easier and convenient for the new, more people would start to trickle in and stay. Then possibly that would work by itself and get the gears moving.

I think Rathe is great because this server has something the others don't; Sometimes you feel like grouping with bots, sometimes you feel like grouping with players. Heck, sometimes you feel like solo'ing purely without bots or now with a mixture of both bots and other players. This has all those options, the other servers don't. To me that's novel and I wish more people would be aware of this! By the way, thanks for changing it to Patrik, I'll send a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator Team
Forum Moderator Team
Shoot, you don't need to know much HTML to do what you want to do. You just have to create, consolidate and organize. Then you just have to familiarize yourself with phpBB. There's nothing crap about what you have done Angelox, it's just that over the years as things have developed, information has remained spread all over the place. I had a desire to do that work as well but it is well that you take it on Patrik as I have MUCH less time this time of year.

A huge bit that has been going through my mind as of late is : Could the Wiki be turned into a true wiki with constant user updated info? Maybe a player would have to be on the server a bit before gaining access if you don't want it open to the masses. One example of the usefulness would be that players could create pages for zones and add important info especially regarding any glitches or bugs to look out for.

The Newbie bot is a very good idea for new players. Have you created different bots for different classes yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 pm 
Developer Team
Developer Team
If anyone have any FAQ's to ask please ask here and I'll try to find answers for it, or if anyone wants to add questions and answer them in detail as well please add them here, that will help with the list. Thanks in advance and here are the questions so far:

What are 'bots'?
What should I do first?
What are macros?
How does AX Classic differ from PEQ?
What if I'm an iksar?
My character's stuck, what should I do?
How can I preserve my client?
Why Legacy of the Rathe Server?

[ 15 posts ]